Friday, October 3, 2008

I HATE Weathermen


WANTED: Patrick Powell (I think this may be an alias) AKA, Forest Gump. For not knowing his arse from a hole in the ground and still being gainfully compensated for doing as such. If you see this man do not turn over to the authorities. Please beat him unmerciful and leave him lying in a puddle of his own blood and feces.
"We'll see no rain until tomorrow afternoon." Tomorrow actually being yesterday. This fool says this with a straight face. So like a lemming I believe him and go forward with my plan to take a half day off and get some good saddle time in in the morning.
I wake up, and while it is a touch on the cold side, it is dry. Good day to test out my new cold weather gear. About a 1/2 hour into my ride, i begin to feel some slight sprinkles. Nothing major, and I can still see the sun coming up, so I proceed. 10 minutes later the sprinkles become a bit harder. I keep going.
I begin a new section of trail that I have not had the nerve to try before. It's part of the Peebles trail from Fond du Lac to St. Peter. My hesitation with this bad boy has been the acsent from the "bowl" that is the city of Fond du Lac up the Niagra Escarpment. Not biking the Rockies by any stretch of the immagination, but still more than what I'm used to.
As I begin the ascent, the rain now is coming harder, and whilst my cold weather gear worked great in the colder temps (40 degrees or so) and the wind (10-15 mph), the rain was something I hadn't prepard for thatnks to the focus of my rage that I introduced earlier. I'm almost there I can see the top(I think).
It's too much. I've been broken by mother nature. The wetness has infiltrated my wind jacket. I trun around and prepare for descent. Descent. Typically a fun time. A reward after a long and diffcult ascent. Not today. Rain peppering my face. Back splash from my rear tire. All of these things added to my misery.
I made the trip back to the house with my tail between my legs. People on their way to work and school, staring at me like I was some kind of circus freak, probably thinking to themselves, "DUH! Why didn't that idiot watch the weather?" (Thanks Powell).
As I came in the door, my wife looked at me and said, "You know this is like the only place in the state that's getting any rain." (Thanks Powell).
I only got in 15 miles. I proceeded to have some breakfast, and soak my frozen self in a hot tub. If there is any one out there inclined to purchase me a Christmas present, and weather radio would be a great gift. ( Thanks Powell)
Pedal Through It
Craigers

No comments: