Friday, April 17, 2009

"Crazy Joe" Update

It seems like it's been forever since I've talked about my bike build (AKA "Crazy Joe"). What was going to be my "winter project" has spilled over into spring. To help expedite my timeline a little bit, I asked the owner of the bike shop down the street from me if I brought parts that I already had in to him, if he'd put them together for me. Thankfully, he replied "whatever you need". So that's a positive.

Here's my price comparison so far to remind everyone what I'm at for costs (and what parts I have).

“Crazy” Joe’s Cost Comparison

Item………………………………………......................MSRP………...Paid – (Shipping)

Specialized “Rockhopper” 21” Frame…..........$120.00 ……….$25.00 – ($25.00)
Suntour XCR Front Suspension Fork…..........$160.00 ……….$52.00 – ($14.00)
2008 Cane Creek S8 Headset 1-1/8"…….......$70.00 ……….$26.00 – ($8.00)
Bontrager Race Modified 620 Handlebar……$30.00
Bontrager Race Handlebar Stem............……..$50.00
Bontrager Sport Seat Post..........………............$20.00…………$21.20 – ($10.00)

Totals

…………………………………………..........................$450.00..….....$124.50–($57.00)


My biggest item I'm searching for right now is a decent wheel set. I've decided to go with a "v-brake" system as opposed to the disc brakes to save on costs. Problem being, I haven't found alot of people selling wheel sets that are usable with a v-brake system (not to mention a wheel set that is cost effective - if I blow $300.00 on wheels, I may as well give up on the build and just buy a new ride).

Should be in the 40's temp wise tomorrow morning, so I'm looking forward to getting out early and maybe not having to wear a stocking cap. If any one has any great ideas on wheel sets or opinions on my braking decisions, let me know your thoughts, they are always appreciated. I hope everyone has a great weekend and can get out and hit the trails.

Kippis,

Craigers

No comments: